Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Are you a TRADER?

I saw this video clip on another YWAM'ers blog and loved it.  Hope you do to. 

It's funny how my perspective on missions has changed.  We actually, not long ago had zero perspective at all.  I can remember when at the 1st church that we attended when Ava was a baby, missionaries would come though on Sunday night occasionally, but we rarely gave to them and never thought much about them after they left.  That was that.  We (Dusty and I) were so focused on filling our spirits up with teachings, music and JC stuff.  Our pastor fed us some awesome truths, preached a sermon that no body could have preached better. 
But, no outreach to the nations or to a neighboring town. We (Dusty and I) were prego with the faith, reluctant to give birth to a risky way of life, a sold out to the Kingdom way of life.  It was exciting to hear about, we liked going to the missions services, BUT....
Read these observations of a missionary at home on furlow raising financial support.

(Here is a quote from the post in case you don't have the time to actually go there.)
"I make one major observation from doing this tour (this is where the offensive part comes). The key individual for missions mobilization and missions engagement in local churches in America is not the visiting missionary. It is not the missions committee chair. It is not the common member of the congregation. The key missions mobilizer in any church is the pastor and/or the pastoral leadership. In every church I have visited the heat of missions fervor is relative to the lead pastor’s interest (or disinterest) in the overseas work. It’s the maxim. The constant. The every-time reality. "

I guess my point of the post is that yeah, missions has always been cool to Dusty and I.  But, when we ended up at Life Church in Olathe, Kansas something magical was going on there.  The fervor and excitement for The Nations and what God was doing out there (out our front doors) captivated us once we were mature enough in our walks to grasp it.  That church taught us to serve the community, serve the church with in and to go to the Nations.  Both locally AND globally.  What an incredible gift our pastor Clint Sprague gave us.  A heart for the lost, a hurting and perishing world out there.  Thanks and kudos to him and his staff.  Bob Swank, our missions pastor is another one on that leadership team that exudes love for his neighbor.  How privileged we are to come from such good stalk.

So, what shall you do today to reach out?  My perspective used to be that there were some really deeply spiritual people that probably grew up in perfect families.  The privileged, submissive (yuck), women that wore a lot of long skirts. Those were the ones that were missionaries.  I now realize that every where we go is a mission field.  Everywhere.  As I walk around YWAM,  I will step outside of my box and reach out. 
I hope so, cause this thing will be here before I know it!  Thanks to Denise and Nancy for helping me pull this off.  I printed off the above flyer's and delivered 55 of them tonight.  Will you pray for the amazing women here, serving God and oh so many ways?  Will you Ask for his favor for us during these weekly lunches?  Do you have any discussion ideas for us?  I would love your input!


Here's our 1st place setting embellishment and snack, Hopefully Nancy has a crafty way to attach the 2 :) 



Lord, show me clearly what you want me to do
with the gifts you have given me.
Grant me the strength that I need
to answer your call with courage and love.
Make me a generous person
so that others may experience your love through me.
Help me always to look to You
as the One who will show me the way to live my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment