I saw 2 of the toughest episodes in the middle of this series this weekend. According to my teen that is. This series is unlike anything I have ever watched. Raw, and really about how we treat each other at its core.
The whole family including my mom and stepdad where in on the experience...the experience I wanted to avoid, but I had to address. Considering our school district sent out a warning Email. And I am aware of the need to stay relevant in my teens world.
There were some awkward but relevant moments, also some teachable moments. Sex, alcohol, drugs, and lack in parent involvement were on display. Rape as well. I have to say I can relate to everyone of these high school issues portrayed. I have talked openly to my girls about my experiences when relevant.
My kids have a father and mother in the home. I did not have this luxury. My experiences were much different than theirs as a result.
In the series
We choose to not have Wi-Fi (The hotspots on our 4 cell phones are sufficient for homework) or Netflix, and my kids both managed to get all 13 episodes elsewhere outside the house w/o my knowing with in a week of it being released. How about that for protecting my girls.
Here's the deal.
Our school districts take the heat of suicide often.
Sometimes the heat is deserved. But a lot of times it might not be. Glad they warned a lot of us around the nation via a warning email. It takes a village to raise healthy children.
I agree that isolated, at risk teens and tweens could be triggered or encouraged by this 'romantic' depiction of suicide and making those naughty teenagers around them pay for their mistakes once someone takes their own life.
But, for my girls it struck a cord.
Amber found herself standing up for a kid at school today that does not fit in well, and in the same 25 minutes another opportunity presented itself for her to stick up for a kiddo that was being bullied. I think that this show helped her see the need for her to participate in the lives of those around her that might need her courage.
Totally Not Realistic btw- 13 cassette tapes to listen to after the tragedy. Kind of like the plot to a rated R movie like Gone Girl. Good movie. A story written for a 30 year old woman to play, not a 16 year old. This level of drama leads to the "romanticizing" of the topic in my opinion.
Selena says her goal with producing this series was to get us all talking. The details will all go away, and what will remain hopeful is a conversation started about 'the why behind' teen suicide and how to spot signs in those in our sphere's of influence that might be at risk. In the episodes I watched the school district was being sued for tolerating bullying, my daughter told me later it shows they were not at fault. That's a good lesson for sure. Update I read the last episodes summery and the councilor might be to blame, interesting. Hers's the link to read up if you like...
http://www.refinery29.com/2017/03/147511/13-reasons-why-recap-episodes-synopsis
When did we as a society stop being accountable to each other and start blame shifting on a grand scale?? In times of pain it's natural to want to find the villain, but it takes 13+ years to bring up a teenager. So many outside of school influences (neglect, divorce, parental drug use, infidelity, porn, abandonment or foster care, verbally abusive parents, narcissistic parents, physically abusive parents, mental illness, poor diet, and more) lead up to the point of a child entering high school. Whole communities are falling prey to meth, or how about 'whole communities are falling victim to porn?' Children are part of these broken communities and when they're old enough they have choices to make based on how they were raised AND what's currently taking place in front of them.
When the truth isn't being taught at home, and real neglect is happening on some level (I need to include mental illness-depression) suicide can become a realistic option. My man summed it up like this " my generation believes in heaven and hell, my kids generation does not." Parents quit teaching it them, schools banned it and pop culture abandoned the conversation. I'm talking about it, nice job Selena. Our society kills millions of babies annually, gives birth to millions out of wedlock, divorce is normal and the trickle down effect could be the lack of self Worth a teen might feel in her sphere. Scratching the surface for sure. Having teens is tougher than I ever knew it could be. Wish I had time to find a graphic or helpful scripture.
The whole family including my mom and stepdad where in on the experience...the experience I wanted to avoid, but I had to address. Considering our school district sent out a warning Email. And I am aware of the need to stay relevant in my teens world.
There were some awkward but relevant moments, also some teachable moments. Sex, alcohol, drugs, and lack in parent involvement were on display. Rape as well. I have to say I can relate to everyone of these high school issues portrayed. I have talked openly to my girls about my experiences when relevant.
My kids have a father and mother in the home. I did not have this luxury. My experiences were much different than theirs as a result.
In the series
We choose to not have Wi-Fi (The hotspots on our 4 cell phones are sufficient for homework) or Netflix, and my kids both managed to get all 13 episodes elsewhere outside the house w/o my knowing with in a week of it being released. How about that for protecting my girls.
Here's the deal.
Our school districts take the heat of suicide often.
Sometimes the heat is deserved. But a lot of times it might not be. Glad they warned a lot of us around the nation via a warning email. It takes a village to raise healthy children.
I agree that isolated, at risk teens and tweens could be triggered or encouraged by this 'romantic' depiction of suicide and making those naughty teenagers around them pay for their mistakes once someone takes their own life.
But, for my girls it struck a cord.
Amber found herself standing up for a kid at school today that does not fit in well, and in the same 25 minutes another opportunity presented itself for her to stick up for a kiddo that was being bullied. I think that this show helped her see the need for her to participate in the lives of those around her that might need her courage.
Totally Not Realistic btw- 13 cassette tapes to listen to after the tragedy. Kind of like the plot to a rated R movie like Gone Girl. Good movie. A story written for a 30 year old woman to play, not a 16 year old. This level of drama leads to the "romanticizing" of the topic in my opinion.
Selena says her goal with producing this series was to get us all talking. The details will all go away, and what will remain hopeful is a conversation started about 'the why behind' teen suicide and how to spot signs in those in our sphere's of influence that might be at risk. In the episodes I watched the school district was being sued for tolerating bullying, my daughter told me later it shows they were not at fault. That's a good lesson for sure. Update I read the last episodes summery and the councilor might be to blame, interesting. Hers's the link to read up if you like...
http://www.refinery29.com/2017/03/147511/13-reasons-why-recap-episodes-synopsis
When did we as a society stop being accountable to each other and start blame shifting on a grand scale?? In times of pain it's natural to want to find the villain, but it takes 13+ years to bring up a teenager. So many outside of school influences (neglect, divorce, parental drug use, infidelity, porn, abandonment or foster care, verbally abusive parents, narcissistic parents, physically abusive parents, mental illness, poor diet, and more) lead up to the point of a child entering high school. Whole communities are falling prey to meth, or how about 'whole communities are falling victim to porn?' Children are part of these broken communities and when they're old enough they have choices to make based on how they were raised AND what's currently taking place in front of them.
When the truth isn't being taught at home, and real neglect is happening on some level (I need to include mental illness-depression) suicide can become a realistic option. My man summed it up like this " my generation believes in heaven and hell, my kids generation does not." Parents quit teaching it them, schools banned it and pop culture abandoned the conversation. I'm talking about it, nice job Selena. Our society kills millions of babies annually, gives birth to millions out of wedlock, divorce is normal and the trickle down effect could be the lack of self Worth a teen might feel in her sphere. Scratching the surface for sure. Having teens is tougher than I ever knew it could be. Wish I had time to find a graphic or helpful scripture.
“Some of you cared. None of you cared enough,” says Hannah at the end of her recording. “And neither did I.” Hannah the main character spoke these words before she ends her life.
No comments:
Post a Comment